Wednesday, November 19, 2008
For the last couple of weekends, I've been trying to get the boat in
shape to take it to Two Way to have it hauled and the bottom painted, a
much needed procedure.
I've noticed that the temp gauge has not been really accurate since
I've owned the boat. Since it has (had) a white face, and all
the other gauges have black faces, I reasoned that it was a replacement
and maybe the sending unit and meter were not a matched pair.
So I replaced both.
In fiddling around in the narrow space in the pedestal I apparently
dislodged a wire going to the oil pressure gauge.
When I turned the ignition swich on, the oil
pressure gauge went to full scale and stuck there.
I found the ground lead of that meter had rotted off.
So I pulled that one out and found the internals of the gauge were
pretty much trashed too. Time for a new oil pressure gauge.
I tried to get the sending unit out of the block but that
wasn't to be. It's rusted in permanently. I bought a gauge
hoping that the the sending unit was a standard unit, and for
a change I was pleasantly surprised.
I now had a working oil pressure gauge and a working water temp gauge,
or so I thought.
Down a few slips from me, I met Ty Goode. I hope I spelled
his name right. He was restoring a 27' catalina that had been
neglected for years. His plan was to sail it to the Keys for
Thanksgiving. I traded him some advice and work for helping
me get Wind Angel to Two Way. A friend of his, Mark, blew
into town a couple of days after Ty and I met and was helping him.
They were going to travel together.
I cleaned up the boat a bit and had Steve clean the prop so I could
actually propel the boat through the water and we set off about 0800
Tuesday. We had earlier shuttled a car to Two Way for the
This was probably the most uneventful trip I've taken. Other
than the newly installed temp gauge not working, we steamed up the ICW
and S. Altamaha river without a hitch.
Last summer I purchased the DVD from freenavcharts.com after multiple
unsuccessful attempts to download the NOAA free charts. I've never been
on the water since then to check them out. I also downloaded the
navigation software and installed it on the laptop. I connected my
Garmin GPS-72 and it just worked. Amazing, but it all works quite well.
It has none of the fancy 3D stuff that some more advanced solutions
(hardware and software) have but it's quite affordable.
Next week I hope take her back to St. Simons.